ON KNOWING GOD’S WILL
If therefore, in doubtful cases, you would discover God’s will, govern yourselves in your search after it by these rules:
1. Get the true fear of God upon your hearts; be really afraid of offending Him.
2. Study the Word more, and the concerns and interests of the world less.
3. Reduce what you know into practice ,and you shall know what is your duty to practice.
4. Pray for illumination and direction in the way that you should go.
5. And this being done, follow Providence as far as it agrees with the Word, and no farther.
(John Flavel, cited in THE GOLDEN TREASURY OF PURITAN QUOTATIONS, ed. I.D.E. Thomas, p. 132.)